Thursday, April 19, 2018
Field Trip: Laurel Ridge Daffodils & White
Flower Farm-Litchfield (if time permits)
Board Meeting TBA
Annual spring clean-up at 9:30 am on April 26, 2018 at the Museum
Remy and Virginia Morosani moved to Litchfield in the spring of 1941 and began to
field but the land had a rugged beauty to it. They were inspired to plant daffodils on
that portion of their property and in the fall 0f 1941 they planted approximately
10,000 daffodil bulbs in the rocky valley bottom.
Each year daffodil bulbs multiply-usually they double. In a matter of years they
become clustered and the solution is to mark the clusters as the blooms fade,go
back and dig up the bulbs in early July when all the leaves have withered separate
the extra bulbs and replant the new bulbs elsewhere in the fall.
It's a simple concept but it's hard work. Fortunately the timing of the work-early
July to dig them out and mid-October to to replant them coincided with less busy
times on the farm after the first and third hay cuts and from the mid 1940's till the
late 1960's the daffodils were periodically separated and replanted expanding the
original two acres to the full fifteen acresnow evident.
As the daffodils expanded in size people began to visit and what had begun as a
small planting became a local attraction every spring. In the mid 1960's Remy and
Virginia Morosani started the Laurel Ridge Foundation,a private foundation, to
create a permanent entity to hold the daffodils. The Foundation is managed and
supported by Remy and Virginia Morosani's descendants